_a recognition of accomplishment by emerging New Brunswick artisans
The Nel Oudemans Award is a juried award that recognizes the pursuit of excellence in the fields of fine craft and design by emerging New Brunswick artisans. It is intended to support creative growth of artists in the early stages of their careers. In conjunction with a $4,000 award, the recipient of the Nel Oudemans Award is eligible for additional funding to support an approved educational conference within one year of the award.
The award was named in honour of Fredericton weaver Nel Oudemans (1918-2002). It is a lasting tribute to a leader in Canada’s applied arts field, who excelled in her craft and advanced fine arts and craft education in New Brunswick. Oudemans won many awards in her lifetime including the Strathbutler in 1995.
Complete list of Nel Oudemans Award past winners:
- 2011 Christian Demmings – metalsmith
- 2010 Bronwyn Gallagher – weaver
- 2009 Kristyn Cooper – metalsmith
- 2008 Shanie Stozek – potter and photographer
- 2007 Shallon Gagnon and Sara Murphy – Fashion Designers
- 2006 Megan Billings – potter
- 2005 Patrick Perry – metalmith
- 2003 Danielle Hogan – sculptor
- 2002 Nora Blanchard – metalsmith