The Nel Oudemans Award acknowledges the extraordinary contribution of Nel Oudemans.
The Nel Oudemans Award recognizes the pursuit of excellence in the fields of fine craft and design by emerging New Brunswick artisans. It is intended to support creative growth of artists in the early stages of their careers. In conjunction with a $2,000 award, the recipient of the Nel Oudemans Award is eligible to be funded to participate in the SOFA Chicago Educational Mission, sponsored by the Craft Alliance and ACOA through the International Business Development Agreement.
The award was named in honour of Fredericton weaver Nel Oudemans, who had advanced Canada’s applied arts field, as well as, fine arts and craft education in New Brunswick. Oudemans won many awards in her lifetime including the Strathbutler in 1995.
Complete list of Nel Oudemans Award past winners:
- 2019 Ralph Simpson – fine craft and design
- 2018 I-Chun Jenkins – multimedia
- 2017 Matt Watkins – metalsmith
- 2016 Emily McCumber – weaver
- 2015 Philip Savage – sculptor
- 2014 Allison Green – multimedia
- 2012 Monica Lacey – multimedia
- 2011 Christian Demmings – metalsmith
- 2010 Bronwyn Gallagher – weaver
- 2009 Kristyn Cooper – metalsmith
- 2008 Shanie Stozek – potter and photographer
- 2007 Shallon Gagnon and Sara Murphy – Fashion Designers
- 2006 Megan Billings – potter
- 2005 Patrick Perry – metalmith
- 2003 Danielle Hogan – sculptor
- 2002 Nora Blanchard – metalsmith