The annual $2,000 Nel Oudemans Award acknowledges the extraordinary contribution of Fredericton weaver Nel Oudemans to Canada’s applied arts field, as well as to fine arts & craft education in New Brunswick.
2019 Nel Oudemans Award Application Guidelines
This Award recognizes the pursuit of excellence in the fields of fine craft and design by emerging New Brunswick artisans. It is intended to support creative growth of artists in the early stages of their careers. In conjunction with the $2,000 award, the recipient of the Nel Oudemans Award is eligible for additional funding to support an approved educational conference within one year of the award. Arrangements will be made through the Executive Director of the Sheila Hugh Mackay Foundation.
To be eligible for the Nel Oudemans award the artist:
- Must be Canadian citizens who have resided in New Brunswick for at least five (5) consecutive calendar years immediately prior to submission.
- Must have graduated from a recognized post-secondary institution, or have completed specialized training or mentorship. Students who are about to graduate are not eligible.
- Applicants must have more than five years of artistic practice outside of a post-secondary institution, and produced an independent body of work.
- Must have continued to develop their skills in their field, either by continued study or professional practice, in New Brunswick or elsewhere.
- Consideration will be given to artists who do one-of-a-kind work, as well as, production-based work.
2019 Submission Deadline
The 2019 Application Deadline for the Nel Oudemans Award is May 30, 2019.