Sheila Hugh Mackay Foundation is an advocate for the creation, promotion and appreciation of visual arts.
Since 1987, the foundation has worked to advance the visual arts as an essential element in quality of life. The visual arts embrace a broad spectrum of media but at their heart is the distinctive, individual expression of artists which enriches all. SHMF’s vision is to foster an exceptional culture in the province of New Brunswick.
As a dedicated advocates for the arts, members of the Sheila Hugh Mackay Foundation work in partnership with many to support creativity. Through symposia, educational programming, and creative networking seminars we strive to advance appreciation and understanding of the visual arts. We work collaboratively in strategic planning with provincial and national organizations.
Each year, the Board of Directors gives an Arts Advocacy Award to recognize others whose work has made a significant impact on the cultural evolution of the province. Read more
Notable Arts Advocacy Projects:
- 2018 November Art Centre Directors Conference
- 2018 Canadian Crafts Federation for the national conference Placemaking
- 2018 Visions 2025: New Brunswick Arts Sector Networking Day
- 2016 Artist Residency Forum: Creating and Achieving Best Practices
- 2013 A Call to Create
- 2013 Jack Weldon Humphrey Forum and APAGA East of There Conference
- 2013 East of There: Saint John
- 2010 Strathbutler Symposium: New Brunswick Visual Arts In Focus