The Sheilas … in honour of Sheila Mackay’s philanthropy …
SHMF offers an annual Facilitation Grant Program to support growth in arts organizations and collectives serving the New Brunswick arts community. These grants, affectionately known as “the Sheilas” build on Sheila Mackay’s early program of small seed grants to emerging artists. Based on the recommendations of independent jury panels, the Board of Directors offers yearly grants ranging from $2000 to $10,000 to projects that promise to enhance the creation, interpretation or appreciation of the visual arts in New Brunswick. Based on available resources in any given year, SHMF is committed to investment in projects that adhere to the following principles:
- A credible concept or idea that is innovative in nature and unrelated to regular operating costs
- Measurable goals, implementation strategies and evaluation criteria
- Leadership and expertise
- Viable financial plans
- Understanding of contemporary art issues in New Brunswick
In 2021, based on community input and strategic review, the Sheila Hugh Mackay Foundation will consider proposals in each of the following target areas.
- Career development grants to facilitate human resource development in New Brunswick arts organisations serving the visual arts
- Innovative youth programming in Visual Arts for New Brunswick youth
- Documentary projects focused on New Brunswick visual artists
- Building resources for New Brunswick arts organizations in virtual programming
These grants are competitive and only one project in each of the target areas will be selected for a 2021 Sheila Grant.
Organizations must select one category, since only one application per year from an organization will be accepted. Independent jury panels will adjudicate all applications and advise the Board of Directors on the most compelling project in each target area.
Note: Individuals do not qualify for the Sheilas. Groups with out-standing reporting are not eligible for additional funding.
2020 – Publication
2019 – Enhance the careers of NB artists through exhibitions
2018 – Meaningful networking and educational opportunities
2017 – Infrastructure
2016 – Critical and Documentary Writing
2015 – Infrastructure
2014 – Creation, installation and exhibition of public art
2013 – Development of creation and education projects